9 June 2009

I can't believe that site is still accessible!

This week I've finally got round to restoring a ton of data I had lying around on old hard drives. As well as finding a lot of my university work I've found examples of my early commercial work and it's kinda embarassing looking back at that stuff. I'm sure it's the same for anyone that does anything remotely creative, but it comes off as very simple, scrappy & naive now. :)

Looking at all this old stuff made me realise how easy it's going to be in our digital age to lose all of our records & mementos. Sure there's going to be lots of things left on the general internet we'd rather forget like old personal sites torn down ages ago that end up forever accessible, but the really personal stuff that we keep on our PCs is oh so fragile.

All it takes is a machine failure (or if you're a bit better at running backups a fire or theft) and all those photos and digital keepsakes are gone. So tomorrow I'm gonna point you all in the direction of a couple of little apps that make doing simple back-ups both on-site and off-site that little bit easier!

As for whether we *should* be keeping all this stuff, well that's a topic for another time.

2 comments:

  1. Nick - I'm glad I know you now and not 10 years ago. Your blogs are MUCH more interesting these days. I'm definately ready to go to sleep now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help you get to sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete