23 May 2009

Listening to Spotify through the Xbox 360 (or Wii, or PS3, or media centres)

I love Spotify, I love the Xbox 360. I love the way you can listen to your own music whilst playing games. I didn't like the way there was no way to listen to Spotify whilst playing games.

So with the digital equivalent of gaffer tape. I found a way. :)

I knew I needed to capture the output of Spotify, and convert it into a form that the Xbox 360 would be able to understand. I also wanted to be able to play the output live, so I could start listening immediately as opposed to recording an hour of Spotify output, then listening to that hour.

In the end my solution was as follows:
  • Broadwave - captures audio from any recording device, and serves it up as an "Internet radio station".
  • TVersity - reads the "Internet radio station", and acts as a UPnP media centre for the Xbox 360 to connect to.
Below are some tips for setting these things up. I've not included a full step-by-step install guide because to be frank this is not amateur stuff. If you need help installing an application you probably aren't going to get all this to work together!

Setting up Broadwave

During this process you may need to accept any firewall requests that come up, depending on your installed firewall software. Make sure to allow incoming and outgoing connections if given the option.
  1. Download and install Broadwave.
  2. Click streams.
  3. Click live tab.
  4. Click add stream.
  5. Change "Sound in" device to the general sound output of your PC (will be something like "Rec. playback", or "Wave out", or "Direct Sound Out"). If you don't have a recording device like this, see "No direct sound recording device" section below.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Click General tab.
  8. Change Minimum speed for broadband to 256kbps (This will keep the sound quality at a reasonable level).
  9. Click OK.
WARNING:- At this point you've got your own "Internet radio station" running on your computer. I don't recommend testing it on the same computer, as this would create a feedback loop resulting in some very nasty sounds. ;)

Setting up TVersity

Again, during this process, you may need to accept any firewall requests that come up, depending on your installed firewall software. Make sure to allow incoming and outgoing connections if given the option.
  1. Install TVersity as standard.
  2. In the library, click "Internet Media", then "Internet Audio".
  3. Click "Add Item".
  4. Enter http://localhost:88/broadwave.asx?src=1&kbps=256 in Audio URL.
  5. Enter a suitable title.
  6. Click Submit.
If all goes well there should be no error messages, and you can now serve up the output from your PC to the Xbox 360.

Accessing from the Xbox

Simple go to "My music" and TVersity should show up as a music source. From there you should be able to select your stream within the "Songs" menu.

Connected, but no Sound?
  1. Check you haven't muted the PC. The direct sound out recording devices literally record what gets output by the PC.
  2. Check you chose a relevant recording device. Again if you haven't got an appropriate recording device, see below.
No direct sound recording device?

The first time I used this solution I didn't have a direct recording device built into the laptop, the only recording options were "line in" and "microphone". I got round this by using a USB sound card I had sitting around: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34128 (other USB sound cards are available but this one definitely works). Plugging this in added the required recording device to the options.

Now I have sound coming out of both my PC and my Xbox!?

If you're like me and don't have a physical volume control on your PC/laptop, just plug in headphones, or preferably any line in cable to the head phone socket. This should shut it up ;). Don't mute it in the volume control.

Finally

Hope this helps some people out there enjoy Spotify a little more! It should work with any device that supports UPnP (Wii, PS3, Media centres etc.). Usual disclaimers apply: the above may not work for you, don't hold me libel if your PC rises up against you and eats your pets or anything.

Comments welcome. Please let me know any improvements you come up with or if this helped you at all!

Credit to http://dempah.com/innehall/18-teknik/340-spotify-till-xbox-360.html for filling in the final blank in my solution. I found their overall solution a little too complex, but the TVersity part of it was what I was missing!


Bookmark and Share

26 comments:

  1. Hi Nick

    worked great, now have Spotify coming through my PS3 to my HiFi

    thanks!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad I could help :) and thanks for the confirmation it works on PS3 too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay works I guess, but then, unless I am missing something - I could alway connect speakers to my PC and achive the same objective? If it has got to come through my PC first, what is the point? Better that Spotify add (or sell) support for xbox, ps3 and wii channels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear another person got it working. I totally agree with you that it's no where near as elegant as native support would be.

    Regarding connecting speakers to PC achieving the same objective, I guess it depends on your objective. If all you want to do is get spotify out of a set of speakers, then go for connecting speakers directly to your PC.

    For me streaming it to my xbox has the advantage that I get both the Spotify music AND the game sound through the same speakers. This was a must have for me.

    Also it has the advantage my laptop remains mobile and doesn't have to stay close to the amp. Dead handy for passing round for people to add songs to the playlist, or working at my table at the opposite end of the living room to my speakers :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the subject of native support, I found this pretty neat app to control spotify from your phone, if you don't want to mess aboiut with port forwarding then connect your phone to your wifi and browse to the remote page.

    If only microsoft would bring out a web browser for xbox D=

    ReplyDelete
  7. is this removing links or is that just me?
    http://degero.se/spotify/
    http://degero.se/spotify/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok so I got it all up to the point of my xbox detecting my stream. I select my TVersity stream on the xbox and then scroll to song and select my stream but nothing plays.

    Broadwave reports an output (the green audio bar jumping) but on the xbox nothing. I click play and nothing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, sounds like you've done everything right if it's detecting the stream... let me know if you figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how would you add a playlist once you have it connected? Thanks btw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got it showing up on my Xbox, but my stream name has the circle with a slash through it and says "can't play this content because it may not be supported". :( soooooooo close

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same almost there, cant figure out whats stopping it play, anyone?

      Delete
    2. I think I'll give it a shot with the new dashboard this weekend, see if I can work it out!

      Delete
  12. Argh, frustrating! I wonder if they've changed something with the new Dashboard, haven't tried it out with that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does this really work on wii too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes it works on the Wii.. You have to set up TVersity to create a flash interface and you open up the link on the Internet Channel. Luckily, I had already set up TVersity for this when setting up the ability to stream SopCast channels to my Wii. My issue however, is I can only currently stream from my Microphone as input =\ But if you are able to select direct sound, you can get this set up in 10 minutes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: since windows doesn't like to provide drivers for "direct sound" (AKA "stereo mix" in sound mixer), i got it to work using a 1/8" audio cable from headphones out -> mic in on my computer lol.. sounded alright, too.

      Also, for Wii, once you have TVersity running.. just open up internet channel on Wii, and browse to the following web address, then click Music, Internet Feeds (something like that): http://YOUR.NETWORK.IP.ADDRESS:41952/flashlib

      replacing YOUR.NETWORK.IP.ADDRESS with, well, your network ip address for the computer that is hosting the server. STart->run->cmd-> type in "ipconfig" to find it.

      Delete
  15. developers of the game console has made backward compatibility as part of the newer model's various exciting features https://xboxlivegoldgratis.com.mx/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. Somchai

    ReplyDelete
  18. New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort. spotify curator

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post but I was wondering if you could write a little more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks in advance! Youtube Ms Thuy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... PC Reviewer

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. Spotify Promotion Packages

    ReplyDelete